Posting has been a little ‘not there’ the past few weeks which might have something to do with the NFL season kicking off and a road trip to CT this past weekend. The good news is that there isn’t a shortage of awesome, notable things to write about. Below you’ll find a recap of blogosphere happenings that you need to know about. In BTID-related news you should expect the September mix sometime in the next week or so and possibly another netlabel release by the end of the month. These are good things, people. I want to hear clapping.
4. While pulling the trigger (most exctiedly) on the vinyl pressing of the first Old Canes album I came across Suburban Home’s 14th anniversary celebration in the form of a free album giveaway. You can choose to download any title from their catalog…completely on the house. Need a recommendation? Check out any of the Drag The River, Laymen Terms or Stereotyperider albums. I took a chance on the debut Ghost Buffalo album considering two of their members hailed from the post-hardcore giant Planes Mistaken For Stars, an old favorite of mine.
5. I Pick My Nose (yep, that’s the blog’s name…) has thrown together a mix consisting of a variety of notable artists performing live sessions for KZSU, a Stanford, CA based radio station.
6. One of my new favorite blogs (especially when hunting for all things sun-pop and bro-fi!) Weekly Tape Deck has compiled their favorite releases of the 00’s. I have made a mental note to check out the albums I missed on the list.
7. Yewknee has posted another random mix of recent favorites here and Paige from Flux-Rad follows suit here. I’ve been meaning to check out several bands on these mixtapes that were recommended elsewhere (Nurses, Mayer Hawthorne, Richard Swift) so I’m looking forward to listening.
Built To Spill
8. Last but definitely not least is NYCtaper’s recent taped show activity. They’ve consistently posted about a show or two a week on average but here are several I’ve enjoyed from the past few months:
Circulatory System – Le Poisson Rouge, NYC 9-9-09
These United States – Union Hall, Brooklyn NY 8-28-09
Dungen – The Bell House, Brooklyn NY 8-14-09
Mew – Terminal 5, NYC 8-26-09
Oneida – Market Hotel, Brooklyn NY 7-24-09
Conor Oberst – Dutchess County Stadium, Wappingers Falls NY 7-18-09
Built To Spill – Maxwell’s, Hoboken NJ 7-19-09
Tortoise – Le Poisson Rouge, NYC 7-21-09
Waaves – Bowery Ballroom NYC 7-15-09
Yo La Tengo – Keyspan Baseball Park, Brooklyn NY 7-13-09